Many of these kids turn wayward, become drug addicts and commit suicide
Bobbi Kristina Brown, the 22-year-old daughter of the late superstar singer Whitney Houston and R&B singer-songwriter Bobby Brown, died on Sunday. The young girl died in Georgia, about six months after she was found face-down and unresponsive in a bathtub in her Atlanta town home she shared with Nick Gordon, the man she called her husband.
Celebrity offsprings often have a hard time, living in the shadow of their famous parents, trying to establish a name for themselves. Many of these kids turn wayward, become drug addicts and commit suicide. Here is a list of famous celebritiy children who have committed suicide.
1. Actor Marlon Brando’s daughter, Cheyenne Brando, hanged herself in 1995 at age 25. In 2008, his son Christian, a high-school dropout and failed actor besides being a long-time drug abuser who served time for killing his sister’s lover, died under mysterious circumstances. The cause of his death was cited as double pneumonia.
2. Gregory Peck’s son, news reporter Jonathan Peck, commited suicide in 1975. Best known for his larger-than-life film roles, particularly as Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird, Gregory Peck was unable to work for two years after the suicide of his son who suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound. At that time Jonathan was going through a broken relationship and dealing with arteriosclerosis and severe fatigue.
3. Superstar Paul Newman’s son Scott Newman, an aspiring actor in his own right, was found dead in a hotel after overdosing on pills and alcohol in 1978. The son had issues with drinking and had been arrested for some alcohol-related incidents.
4. Singer, actress, and television personality Marie Osmond’s 18 year-old son, Michael Blosil, jumped from the eighth floor of a Los Angeles apartment building in 2010. Michael had previously suffered a lifelong battle with depression, and at the age of 16, had gone into rehab for undisclosed reasons.
5. Gloria Vanderbilt’s oldest son, Carter Vanderbilt Cooper, committed suicide on 22 July 1988, when he was 23. In her memoirs, Vanderbilt, known as an author, actress, heiress and socialite, wrote that she believes the suicide was caused by a psychotic episode induced by an allergic reaction to Cooper’s anti-asthma medication, salbutamol.
6. Noted American poet, novelist and short-story writer Sylvia Plath’s son Nicholas Hughes hanged himself in 2009, 46 years after his mother’s own suicide. Plath suffered from depression for much of her adult life, and in 1963 she committed suicide. Like her, Hughes too was battling depression, before finally succumbing to it.
7. Action hero Sylvester Stallone’s son, Sage Stallone, died at the age of 36. His friends claimed that he had a prescription drug problem—and a complicated relationship with his famous father, though medical reports confirmed the cause of death as atherosclerosis, which brought on a heart attack.