Total device shipment in India set to reach 300 mn units
New Delhi: The total device shipment including personal computers, tablets, mobile phones and ultra mobiles in India is expected to reach 300 million units in 2015, a 4.5% rise over 2014, said a new report by Gartner Inc. released on Monday.
The ultramobile includes devices such as Microsoft’s Windows 8 Intel x86 products, Apple’s MacBook Air, iPad, iPad Mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 and Nexus 7 among others.
While traditional PC market is expected to grow by 2% and notebook market by 9% compared to a year ago, the computing devices market may decline by 3% due to weak demand for tablets.
There will be a slight growth in the overall PC market in India as shipments in the premium ultramobile category should compensate for a decline in sales of traditional desk-based devices, said Vishal Tripathi, principal research analyst at Gartner.
Mobile phones including feature phones are projected to grow 5% in 2015.
“With increased penetration of smartphones, and better features with declining prices, consumers in India are set to benefit,” the report said. “Smartphones are potentially a high growth segment in the Indian mobile phone market.”
Editor's Picks »
- DGCA advises airlines not to overprice air tickets to Kerala
- Tech, not Turkey, proves catalyst behind global sell-off
- Why Zuckerberg buying Messi’s magic on TV is a perfect game for Facebook
- Tencent stuns with first profit drop in a decade
- Proxy advisory firm seeks change in voting rules for related-party transactions