NEET, JEE may be conducted twice a year
The centre was setting up National Testing Agency (NTA) to conduct the entrance exams for the higher educational institutions
New Delhi: The national medical entrance exam, National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) and engineering entrance exam, Joint Entrance Examination (JEE), might be conducted twice a year to give an opportunity to the students to bring out their best performance, the Lok Sabha was informed on Monday.
Union minister of state for human resource development (HRD) Upendra Kushwaha said, in response to a written question in the lower house of parliament, the centre was setting up a National Testing Agency (NTA), an autonomous and self- sustained premier testing organisation, to conduct the entrance exams for the higher educational institutions.
“The NTA will initially conduct those entrance exams which are held by the CBSE. The exams will be conducted online at least twice a year, thereby giving an adequate opportunity to the candidates to bring out their best,” Kushwaha said. Both NEET for admission to medical colleges and JEE for admission to engineering colleges are currently conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE).
The CBSE has conveyed its inhibitions to the HRD ministry about conducting the exams in future, saying they are overburdened with the massive exercise.
- Top B-schools see up to 15% rise in salaries from last year
- Govt liberalizes CBSE affiliation norms for more transparency
- Govt moots quarterly performance appraisal of top educational institutions
- Going to study in the UK? Pay more for visa from December
- Peerless Skill Academy Kolkata to offer healthcare and hospitality courses
Editor's Picks »
- Reliance Jio seen overtaking Vodafone Idea, Airtel to become India’s largest telecom firm by 2018-end
- ArcelorMittal’s Essar Steel acquisition: Who wins, who loses
- UltraTech’s dismal Q2 results darken outlook on cement sector
- NBFC liquidity crisis set to worsen real estate sector woes
- RBI pause on interest rate hike may last only till December