NEET, JEE may be conducted twice a year
New Delhi: The national medical entrance exam, National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) and engineering entrance exam, Joint Entrance Examination (JEE), might be conducted twice a year to give an opportunity to the students to bring out their best performance, the Lok Sabha was informed on Monday.
Union minister of state for human resource development (HRD) Upendra Kushwaha said, in response to a written question in the lower house of parliament, the centre was setting up a National Testing Agency (NTA), an autonomous and self- sustained premier testing organisation, to conduct the entrance exams for the higher educational institutions.
“The NTA will initially conduct those entrance exams which are held by the CBSE. The exams will be conducted online at least twice a year, thereby giving an adequate opportunity to the candidates to bring out their best,” Kushwaha said. Both NEET for admission to medical colleges and JEE for admission to engineering colleges are currently conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE).
The CBSE has conveyed its inhibitions to the HRD ministry about conducting the exams in future, saying they are overburdened with the massive exercise.
- Sebi strengthens procedures for dividend payment, transfer of securities
- Donald Trump slams Opec as cartel pushes harder for high oil prices
- 2002 Gujarat riots: Maya Kodnani acquitted in Naroda Patiya case
- Sebi fines Suzlon Rs1.1 crore for violating insider trading norms
- Vedanta’s Electrosteel acquisition credit neutral: Report