Budget 2018 and education: Restoring the balance
The administrative distinction between elementary and secondary education has been reinforced by the focus on the former with the passage of the Right to Education (RTE) Act. Concomitantly, funds for and focus on secondary education have been lagging, impacting both infrastructural and learning quality. Notwithstanding the need for continued strengthening of elementary education, can India realize its demographic potential in the absence of a far-sighted policy for education as a whole?
- West Bengal panchayat elections: Opposition fears more violence over poll nomination
- Karnataka elections: Can Siddaramaiah win back his old bastion?
- Fuel marketers may have to continue paying higher debit card fees
- 14 Naxals killed in Gadchiroli encounter in Maharashtra
- BJP gears up for solo fight in Maharashtra polls, but alliance talks on with Shiv Sena