GST rates: Here’s what will change from today
Here’s a list of items and GST rates applicable on them after the midnight launch of the Goods and Services Tax on Friday
- Change M&A norms to calculate spectrum dues: Trai
- Cracking India’s bankruptcy code
- RBI’s registry will help solve problem of credit shortage: iSpirt’s Sharad Sharma
- Fintech regulation at an inflection point: Shardul Amarchand’s Shilpa Mankar Ahluwalia
- Voice and AI biggest transformative tech, says EY’s Mahesh Makhija
In only a few hours from now, India will launch the Goods and Services (GST) that aims to bring the country under a uniform tax regime. The GST launch event will take place at the Parliament at midnight on Friday.
GST rates have been fixed for over 1,000 items, and the GST Council has taken care that the new tax slabs are as close to the current structure to ensure that the transition is revenue-neutral.
Although there are four tax slabs—5%, 12%, 18% and 28%—most of the commodities fall in the 12% and 18% slabs. Here’s a list of items on which tax rates will change after the GST launch.
Editor's Picks »
- GST rates slashed on several products
- Won’t join NDA for 2019 elections, says Chandrababu Naidu
- Reliance Power Q1 profit rises 3% to Rs237.33 crore
- TMC will sweep in all 42 Lok Sabha seats in West Bengal, says Mamata Banerjee
- Rahul Gandhi has seriously hurt image of Indian politician before world: Arun Jaitley
- What ABB India’s performance in June quarter says about capex growth
- Bajaj Finance does well in Q1 even as competition hots up
- Kotak Mahindra Bank: The perils of being priced to perfection
- Higher cane price crushes hopes of sugar mills
- Market optimism before 2019 general election: History may not repeat itself