Idea Cellular to focus on expanding coverage
Idea Cellular is also planning its own range of digital services and app ecosystem
- US’s ZTE ban may affect Indian telcos’ 4G plans
- Govt push for merger of Vodafone-Idea: New entity can pay all dues
- United Breweries launches Amstel beer in India, looks to take on Carlsberg Elephant
- ED files charges against Nirav Modi, to approach Interpol in PNB case
- Govt seeks $3.8 billion from RIL, ONGC, Shell
Mumbai: Idea Cellular Ltd said it is focussed on expanding coverage rather than build capacity, in an investor presentation released on the BSE. “Current mobile broadband coverage (sic) 400 million Indians, plan to reach 500 million Indians by March 2017,” the firm said adding that the rural segment is its key strength.
Idea is also planning its own range of digital services and app ecosystem. Plans include launching videos, music and games by the end of this fiscal and TV, a news and magazines app, storage chat and Idea Money next year.
This would be in competition to the Jio app from rival Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd, which announced the launch of its services and tariffs on Thursday.
Editor's Picks »
- Motherson Sumi continues to face margin pressure in foreign markets
- What is the Warren Buffett indicator telling us about market valuations today?
- Jet Airways lands with a thud in Q4 as fuel costs increase
- IBC amendments: Some dilutions, and a lot more speed
- Patanjali’s gambit is paying off in toothpaste wars