No proposal for merger of Canara, Dena Bank: Finance ministry
Syndicate Bank, Canara Bank, Vijaya Bank and Dena Bank have apprised that they have not made presentations about their merger or consolidation to the ministry of finance
New Delhi: The finance ministry on Friday said that there is no proposal for merger of four public sector banks, including Canara Bank, and Dena Bank.
“Syndicate Bank, Canara Bank, Vijaya Bank and Dena Bank have apprised that they have not made presentations about their merger or consolidation to the Ministry of Finance,” minister of state for finance Shiv Pratap Shukla said in a written reply to the Lok Sabha.
Last year, five associates and the Bharatiya Mahila Bank were merged with State Bank of India (SBI), catapulting the country’s largest lender to among the top 50 banks in the world. State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur (SBBJ), State Bank of Hyderabad (SBH), State Bank of Mysore (SBM), State Bank of Patiala (SBP) and State Bank of Travancore (SBT), besides Bharatiya Mahila Bank (BMB), merged with SBI with effect from April 1, 2017.
With the merger, the total customer base of the bank will reach 37 crores with a branch network of around 24,000 and nearly 59,000 ATMs across the country. The government had in February, 2017, approved the merger of these five associate banks with SBI.
Later in March, the cabinet approved merger of BMB as well. SBI first merged State Bank of Saurashtra with itself in 2008. Two years later, State Bank of Indore was merged with it.
- Nigeria seen as biggest rice buyer in 2019, behind China
- Demonetisation highly ethical move, not political: Jaitley
- Government, telcos meet this month to find solution to call drops, poor quality of service
- ITC launches four variants of Sunfeast Yippee noodles
- Most PCA banks meet priority sector lending goals for MSMEs, shows analysis
Editor's Picks »
- FPIs invest over $1 billion in November so far on easing oil prices, rupee recovery
- Seven of top 10 firms add over Rs70 trillion in m-cap; RIL tops chart
- How parents teach smart spending with apps, not cash
- What if holidays could save the planet?
- US seeks to counter China with Papua New Guinea power grid
- Future Retail’s Q2 result shows improvement in same-store sales
- Private insurance firms grow at the expense of LIC stuck with a sick bank
- Page Industries’s lofty valuations get a reality check in Q2
- Q2 results: Grasim’s Vodafone Idea stake is proving costly
- How Vodafone Idea’s $3.5 bn fundraising will impact telecom in India