Mumbai: Maggi noodles made by Nestle India Ltd are safe to eat, the UK’s Food Standards Agency (FSA) said on Wednesday.

The UK food regulator, which tested the Indian-made instant noodles following the controversy in India after monosodium glutamate and excess lead were detected in some samples of the snack, said Maggi noodles tested by it were found to have permissible levels of lead.

Australian and New Zealand regulators have also cleared Maggi noodles, Robin Tickle, a spokesman for Nestle, said by email to Bloomberg.

Meanwhile, India’s food regulator is also investigating whether chocolate makers have been using vegetable fats instead of cocoa butter, Bloomberg TV India reported on Wednesday, citing unidentified officials. Indian food regulations prohibit that.

Maggi noodles, manufactured by the Indian arm of the Nestle India Ltd, were withdrawn from shops in India and ordered incinerated after Indian tests found monosodium glutamate as well as higher-than-permissible levels of lead.

Nestle sells only the “masala flavour" Maggi in the UK. However, the FSA tested not only the “masala flavour", but also others from the Maggi noodles range as a precaution, the regulator said on its website.

The UK is the second country after Singapore to clear Maggi noodles as safe to eat.

On Tuesday, the Bombay high court allowed Nestle to export its India-made Maggi noodles, instead of incinerating its entire stock of the ready-to-cook snack, as the company stood by its claim of the product being safe to consume. However, the ban on the sale and manufacture of all nine types of Maggi noodles continues in India.

Made-in-India Maggi noodles are imported by Singapore, Canada, the US, the UK and Australia. The US Food and Drug Administration is testing samples of Maggi, according to an 11 June Reuters report.

My Reads Logout