H1B visas: US to start accepting applications for 2018 from 3 April
The US will start accepting applications for H1B visas for fiscal 2018 from 3 April amid uncertainties surrounding the work visa programme
- Paytm says never shared users’ data with third-parties, government
- Four years of Modi govt: Labour reforms slow down despite policy revamp
- Job creation still a challenge after four years of Modi govt
- Oil prices slump 3% as Opec and Russia consider output boost
- Oil prices drop below $80 vindicates cautious investors trimming bets
Washington: The US will start accepting applications for H1B visas for the fiscal 2018 from April 3 amid the uncertainties surrounding the work visa programme, the most sought after by Indian IT firms and professionals.
Unlike previous years, the official announcement by US Citizenship and Immigration Services (US CIS) did not say till when it would continue accepting the H1B visa petitions.
The department normally accepts the H1B visa applications for the first five business days.
In the last few years, the department has received enough petitions to fill in the Congressional mandated 85,000 H1B visas. The Congressional mandated limit on H1B visas include 65,000 in the general category and another 20,000 for those foreign students who have masters or higher degree from a US academic institution.
Those coming to the US on H1B visas in certain categories for research and scientific institutions are exempted from this limit, but their visa processing is handicapped this year as the premium processing has been suspended by US CIS for six months.
US CIS’s announcement also reflects that there is no changes in H1B visas this year as was being anticipated in view of some media leaks of a proposed executive order on this work visa.
White House says it is working on a comprehensive immigration reform. In its statement, US CIS said it begin accepting H1B petitions subject to the fiscal year 2018 cap on 3 April.
“All cap-subject H1B petitions filed before 3 April, for the FY 2018 cap will be rejected,” it said.
Fiscal year 2018 begins on 1 October 2017. US CIS said H1B programme allows companies in the US to temporarily employ foreign workers in occupations that require the application of a body of highly specialised knowledge and a bachelor’s degree or higher in the specific speciality, or its equivalent.
H 1B speciality occupations may include fields such as science, engineering and information technology. PTI
Editor's Picks »
- Motherson Sumi continues to face margin pressure in foreign markets
- What the Warren Buffett indicator tells us about market valuations today
- Jet Airways lands with a thud in Q4 as fuel costs increase
- IBC amendments: Some dilutions, and a lot more speed
- Patanjali’s gambit is paying off in toothpaste wars