SoftBank Group to take majority stake in Line’s mobile unit
Line said SoftBank would hold a 51% stake in the mobile business after the issuance of new shares, with Line holding the remaining 49%
Tokyo: Japan’s Line Corp. said on Wednesday that it had entered an agreement with SoftBank Group Corp. to give the telecoms and technology firm a majority stake in Line’s mobile unit.
Line said SoftBank would hold a 51% stake in the mobile business after the issuance of new shares, with Line holding the remaining 49%.
Myriad companies have entered Japan’s telecoms market in recent years through the use of virtual networks—where capacity is leased from conventional operators—including Line, which launched its mobile service in September 2016 leasing capacity from Japan’s top wireless carrier NTT DoCoMo Inc .
Growth among the mobile virtual network operators has done little to challenge the dominance of the big three players—NTT DoCoMo, KDDI Corp and SoftBank—despite the encouragement of regulators keen to drive down user fees.
Rakuten Inc.’s announcement in December that it aims to become Japan’s fourth wireless carrier points to a broader shakeup of the telecoms industry, with SoftBank this month saying it is considering listing its domestic wireless business.
Separately on Tuesday, Line said it intended to use its popular messaging app to begin offering users financial services including cryptocurrency trading, loans and insurance. Reuters
- IL&FS secures moratorium against all creditor actions
- PNB plans to sell non-core assets of over ₹8,000 crore this fiscal
- India pitches for review of oil payment terms to stem rupee fall
- MG Motor to drive in electric SUV in India by first half of 2020
- Visa, Mastercard said to miss RBI’s data localization deadline
Editor's Picks »
- Banks turned wary of NBFCs months before IL&FS defaults
- HUL Q2: Rising input costs face off against healthy demand growth
- Q2 results: DMart finally set to face a reality check
- Temporary staffing: Decent employee additions, margin pressures may sustain
- Gujarat relief for Tata Power, Adani Power underlines sector’s harsh reality