Reliance Jio tests interest in free phone
People interested in buying Jio Phone can log on to Reliance Jio’s website and can submit their name, e-mail and phone number to get updates on the device
New Delhi: Telecom operator Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd (RJIL) has started tapping into the interest for JioPhone that the company has promised to offer against one-time refundable deposit of Rs1,500 per unit.
The home page of the company’s website has a section—Keep me posted—with an image of the phone where people interested can submit their name, e-mail and phone number for any update on the device.
Jio is slated to beta-test the low-cost phone from 15 August. The booking will start from 24 September online as well as through Reliance Retail and Jio stores. “JioPhone will be made by the third party and marketed by Reliance Retail. Jio is only bundling its services with the phone. Customers who will register their interest will get update about JioPhone booking, availability and the like,” a person who did not wish to be named said.
Reliance Jio’s new 4G-enabled smart feature phone will offer free voice calls to customers with unlimited data for two days when they recharge their account for Rs24 onwards whereas the full-month service will cost Rs153 only. The refund of Rs1,500 will be made to customers after they return the JioPhone after 36 months, as per the plan announced by Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) chairman Mukesh Ambani.
Jio stormed into the highly competitive telecom sector last September with a six-month promotional offer of free voice and data, which has helped it mobilise 125 million users, and is now looking to hit it big with this new phone.
“JioPhone will make the 2G feature phone obsolete,” Ambani had said last week, adding that the company is looking at having 5 million phones a week. JioPhone customers willing to watch their mobile videos on TV can opt for Jio Dhan Dhana Dhan pack priced at Rs309 with one month validity along with JioPhone TV cable that will enable them to watch almost 3-4 hours of videos daily.
People closed to the matter have indicated that there will be at least two models of JioPhone—one with Qualcomm chipset and the other with chipset from Spreadtrum.
- 5Paisa.com plans to raise ₹103.5 crore via rights issue to enter P2P lending business
- IDBI Bank to move govt to make LIC promoter
- ICICI Bank audit committee hires law firm to look into bad loans
- Amazon Prime Day sale: E-commerce firm suffers tech crash, strikes
- Govt doubles import duty on over 50 textile products to 20%
Editor's Picks »
- HDFC Bank raises Rs8,500 crore by issuing equity to parent HDFC
- Fadnavis says over 3.2 million farmers given ₹2,337 crore under crop insurance
- Govt to shut UPA-era eBiz portal over low service integration
- UPI 2.0 falls short of analysts’ expectations
- NCLT approves Liberty House’s resolution plan for Adhunik Metaliks’ Odisha plant