Coal India’s production, shipments rise to a record in March
Coal India’ s sales in March rose to the highest on record as it rushed to meet its annual production target, a goal that it missed for at least the sixth consecutive year
New Delhi/Mumbai: Coal India Ltd’s sales and output in March rose to the highest on record as the world’s biggest coal miner rushed to meet its annual production target, a goal that it missed for at least the sixth consecutive year.
Boosting output is crucial for Coal India to meet rising demand from power plants, its biggest customers. An early onset of summer is expected to boost electricity consumption. To meet that demand, the miner is seeking more railway carriages and is also trying to ship the fuel through roads to some customers.
The company is unable to raise production to its full potential as it is facing logistical issues in transporting coal, inflating stockpiles, Union coal secretary Susheel Kumar has said. Inventories at Coal India stood 55.5 million tons as of 1 April, it said.
“We see production growth slowing down in the coming months as the company deals with a bloated inventory,” Goutam Chakraborty, an analyst at Emkay Global Financial Services in Mumbai, said. “Transportation continues to be the weak link and the company has to obtain more railway rakes to be able to ship more coal.” Bloomberg
- RBI against independent regulator for payment systems outside central bank
- Germany’s transport authority orders Opel to recall 73,000 diesel vehicles worldwide
- RBI opens banking tap to ease liquidity crunch at NBFCs
- New RBI norms put mobile wallets on par with payments banks
- Imminent NBFC slowdown could lead to credit crunch
Editor's Picks »
- Policy rethink and higher volumes to aid container shippers
- DCB Bank delivers a strong Q2 but pressure on margins foreseen
- Havells India: Rising costs give a jolt to profitability in September quarter
- All’s well at Mindtree, except for high client concentration risk
- India’s rising steel demand is making companies starry-eyed