Internet governance: India to strengthen focus on data and cyber security
Experts at the India Mobile Congress stressed on the focus to manage data or the content available on the internet
India is set to reinforce its focus on content and cyber security in internet governance in the coming years.
With the rapid increase in the adoption of smartphones, broadband and the Internet of Things (IoT), India will be one of the largest generators of data.
“The future of internet governance has to focus on how data or the content available on the internet is managed. India is one of the fastest growing countries with data growing at the rate of 40-50% per annum…what role we play in the management of this data is an extremely important question,” said Ajay Kumar, additional secretary, ministry of electronics and information technology.
Speaking at first India Mobile Congress on Wednesday, Kumar also emphasized the importance of cyber security, which he said was a big concern for countries and corporations.
On 25 August, Mint reported that the Indian government is planning to draft a legal framework for cyber security standards to be able to address issues pertaining to data security in a comprehensive manner.
Rekha Jain, a professor at the Indian Institute of Management, who also took part in a panel discussion at the India Mobile Congress, urged industry associations to come forward and look at India-specific models for deployment of standards in the area of content and cyber security.
- Piyush Goyal says govt will look into RBI demand for more powers over state-run lenders
- Public sector banks to focus on credit needs of good borrowers: FM
- SBI’s Rajnish Kumar says banks agree fragmentation in the industry is not good
- Electric vehicle manufacturers urge govt to make short-term policies to help industry
- Volvo-Eicher JV plans to widen its medium-duty CNG trucks range
Editor's Picks »
- Firstcry may raise up to $150 million in fresh funding
- RITES IPO ticks the valuations box, but not the growth one
- ICICI Bank CEO Chanda Kochhar’s fully paid indefinite leave raises questions
- Fine Organic IPO opens today: Key things to know before you subscribe
- The meteoric rise of Iceland’s football and what India can learn from it