Internet governance: India to strengthen focus on data and cyber security
Experts at the India Mobile Congress stressed on the focus to manage data or the content available on the internet
India is set to reinforce its focus on content and cyber security in internet governance in the coming years.
With the rapid increase in the adoption of smartphones, broadband and the Internet of Things (IoT), India will be one of the largest generators of data.
“The future of internet governance has to focus on how data or the content available on the internet is managed. India is one of the fastest growing countries with data growing at the rate of 40-50% per annum…what role we play in the management of this data is an extremely important question,” said Ajay Kumar, additional secretary, ministry of electronics and information technology.
Speaking at first India Mobile Congress on Wednesday, Kumar also emphasized the importance of cyber security, which he said was a big concern for countries and corporations.
On 25 August, Mint reported that the Indian government is planning to draft a legal framework for cyber security standards to be able to address issues pertaining to data security in a comprehensive manner.
Rekha Jain, a professor at the Indian Institute of Management, who also took part in a panel discussion at the India Mobile Congress, urged industry associations to come forward and look at India-specific models for deployment of standards in the area of content and cyber security.
Editor's Picks »
- Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas Chanda Kochhar report ICICI Bank
- Heritage hotels are the way ahead: Taj CEO Puneet Chhatwal
- Opinion | Why everyone loves an airline or two
- The discrimination Dalits and Muslims face in India
- Cube Wealth founder Satyen Kothari’s reverse pitch for startups: Solve a problem, be unique
- Hindustan Zinc dividend payout offsets dull Q2 results
- Q2 results no blockbuster for Inox Leisure as margins disappoint
- NBFC scare shaves 8.5% of IndusInd Bank share price
- Q2 results portent a dull Diwali for paint stocks investors
- Reliance Jio seen overtaking Vodafone Idea, Airtel to become India’s largest telecom firm by 2018-end