India logs 6.6% growth in industrial production in July
India’s industrial production grew at 6.6% in July on the back of good performance by the manufacturing sector (7%) and higher offtake of capital goods (3%) and consumer durables (14.4%)
New Delhi: India’s industrial production grew at 6.6% in July on the back of good performance by the manufacturing sector and higher offtake of capital goods and consumer durables. The factory output, measured by the Index of Industrial Production (IIP) had expanded by just 1% in July 2017, according to the data released by Central Statistics Office (CSO).
The IIP growth for June was also revised downwards to 6.8% from the provisional estimate of 7% released last month, the July data showed.
The manufacturing sector recorded 7% growth in July as against a contraction of 0.1% in the same month a year ago. The consumer durables sector recorded an impressive 14.4% growth in July against a dip of 2.4% a year ago. Capital goods production grew by 3% in July as against decline of 1.1% a year ago.
The IIP growth in April-July period was 5.4% compared to 1.7% year ago.
In terms of industries, 22 out of 23 industry groups in the manufacturing sector showed positive growth during July 2018. The industry group “manufacture of furniture” has shown the highest positive growth of 42.7% followed by 30.8% in “manufacture of computer, electronics and optical products” and 28.4% in “manufacture of tobacco products”.
“Manufacture of paper and paper products” and “printing and reproduction of recorded media” have shown the highest negative growth of -2.7% followed by -0.9% in “manufacture of machinery and equipment”.
- Government, telcos meet this month to find solution to call drops, poor quality of service
- ITC launches four variants of Sunfeast Yippee noodles
- Most PCA banks meet priority sector lending goals for MSMEs, shows analysis
- Govt wants RBI to set up committees to oversee different functions
- Banks paid premium of ₹119 per share for majority stake in CapitaWorld
Editor's Picks »
- Future Retail’s Q2 result shows improvement in same-store sales
- Private insurance firms grow at the expense of LIC stuck with a sick bank
- Page Industries’s lofty valuations get a reality check in Q2
- Q2 results: Grasim’s Vodafone Idea stake is proving costly
- How Vodafone Idea’s $3.5 bn fundraising will impact telecom in India