Walmart is said to be in takeover talks with pharmacy startup PillPack
Walmart is in early talks about a deal for closely held PillPack, an online startup that could help grow the retail giant’s pharmacy offerings
New York: Walmart Inc. is in early talks about a deal for closely held PillPack, an online startup that could help grow the retail giant’s pharmacy offerings, according to people familiar with the situation.
PillPack and Walmart declined to comment. CNBC first reported the talks Monday, and said the price being discussed was less than $1 billion. It’s not clear if the talks will lead to a deal.
PillPack has raised $118 million in venture funding, the company says on its website. It pre-sorts pills into date- and time-stamped packets for patients who take multiple drugs — common for older people dealing with several chronic conditions. It has also developed pharmacy software that helps coordinate refills, makes sure the shipments are on time, and provides an online dashboard for patients.
Seniors are a key demographic for Walmart, which runs about 4,700 US pharmacies and has been eyeing how to expand its health-care business for years.
Walmart also has a deal with insurer Humana Inc. to offer co-branded Medicare drug plans. Last week, Bloomberg and others reported that Walmart was discussing a closer partnership or merger with Humana.
The two companies haven’t commented on the reports, and Bloomberg reported that they are mainly considering a deeper partnership to provide care to consumers at or near their homes, as opposed to an outright merger. Bloomberg
- Oil prices on shaky ground amid global financial market worries
- The evolution of Urjit Patel since demonetisation
- Creditors say can’t decide on resolution plan proposed by Essar Steel investors
- Railway Board gives in-principle approval to Rs55,000 crore Mumbai sub-urban rail project
- Nissan opens global digital hub in Kerala, first MNC to set up shop in state after 7 years
Editor's Picks »
- Congress leads BJP in Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, close fight in Madhya Pradesh
- Markets, rupee and bond prices fall after RBI chief Urjit Patel resigns
- Sensex plunges over 1,200 points in two days: 10 updates
- Retaining Rajasthan, MP, Chhattisgarh is key for Modi
- Rupee plunges against US dollar after Urjit Patel’s shock exit: 5 things to know
- Steel stocks get winter chill as China demand issues resurface
- Why Uday Kotak’s defiance is scaring his bank’s investors
- Exit RBI governor Urjit Patel, enter wrath of the markets?
- The government has a troubling message for minority shareholders
- Opec-allies’ output cut may not amount to big shift in oil prices