Apple making some iPhone models in Bengaluru: Govt
Minister of state for commerce C.R. Chaudhary informs the Parliament that Apple has started manufacturing of certain iPhone models in Bengaluru through a contract manufacturer
New Delhi: Technology major Apple has started making certain models of iPhone in Bengaluru through a contract manufacturer, Parliament was informed on Monday.
“While Apple has already started manufacturing of certain models of iPhone in Bengaluru through a contract manufacturer, details of private business decisions are not maintained by the Centre,” minister of state for commerce and industry C.R. Chaudhary said in a written reply to Lok Sabha.
The government has received representations seeking concessions including duty exemption on manufacturing and repair units, components, capital equipment and consumables for smartphone manufacturing, which have not been accepted, he said.
In a separate reply, the minister said as on 15 July, 16,324 applications have been received of which 11,129 have been recognised as start-ups.
- Shadow banking crisis is starting to hit India’s consumers
- De Beers is said to make big cuts in low-end diamond prices
- RBI deputy governor Viral Acharya in government crosshairs
- Bank of Baroda, Vijaya Bank, Dena Bank set 15 December deadline to decide on share swap ratio
- RBI to inject Rs12,000 crore liquidity on 15 November
Editor's Picks »
- Petrol, diesel prices likely to fall further as crude oil rates dip. 5 things to know
- Big question for Amazon’s 2 chosen cities: Will it pay off?
- Opinion | Binny Bansal’s exit shows why start-ups must pay attention to governance early
- Confused about Brexit? Here’s a guide as the endgame begins
- GVK seeks shareholders’ nod to raise ₹8,000 crore to retire debt