Big wilful defaulters owe Punjab National Bank Rs15,172 crore
The Punjab National Bank has been putting out the names of wilful defaulters and firms since June 2017
New Delhi: Big wilful defaulters owed Rs15,171.91 crore in loans to Punjab National Bank at the end of March this year.
The liability on such defaulters rose by 1.8% from Rs14,904.65 crore in February.
The public sector lender has been putting out the names of wilful defaulters and firms since June 2017.
Within ten months, these defaults have grown by 28%, from Rs11,879.74 crore. The major wilful defaulters include chemical manufacturer Kudos Chemie Ltd —Rs1,301.82 crore; Kingfisher Airlines—Rs597.44 crore; VMC Systems Ltd—Rs296.08 crore; Arvind Remedies—Rs158.16 crore and Indu Projects Ltd Rs102.83 crore. All these companies were provided loans by PNB as part of consortium lending.
Others in the list include Winsome Diamonds and Jewellery—Rs899.70 crore; Zoom Developers—Rs410.18 crore; Jas infrastructure and Power Ltd—Rs410.96 crore; Apple Industries—Rs248.34 crore; Nafed—Rs224.24 crore; MBS Jewellers Pvt Ltd—Rs266.17 crore and S Kumar Nationwide—Rs146.82 crore.
For third quarter ended 31 December of last fiscal, 2017-18, PNB’s gross non-performing assets (NPAs) or bad loans stood at Rs57,519.41 crore or 12.11% of the gross advances.
In 2016-17, the gross NPAs were 12.53% of the gross advances at Rs55,370.45 crore.
Hit by the over Rs13,000 crore fraud, PNB has been trying to clean up its books. Multiple agencies are investigating the case and working on bringing back the alleged wrongdoers billionaire diamond jeweller Nirav Modi and his uncle Mehul Choksi of Gitanjali Gems, who have fled the country.
Editor's Picks »
- Karntaka govt formation: Kingmaker H.D. Kumaraswamy becomes the king
- CLAT 2018: Supreme Court to hear pleas challenging law entrance exam held on 13 May
- Grasim Industries Q4 net profit at Rs 853.62 crore
- Govt waives Rs1,077 crore penal interest on loans to Paradip Port
- Hyatt brings Hyatt Centric brand to India
- Same-store sales growth trips at Future Retail
- Cipla Q4 FY18 results no reason to reverse stock underperformance
- Dr Reddy’s Q4: It’s a wait and watch, share price spike notwithstanding
- What SBI Q4 results say about the Indian economy and the bank
- Patanjali’s slowing growth does not mean that Colgate’s is accelerating