Reliance Jio ropes in Shah Rukh Khan as brand ambassador
Khan says he has been appointed as brand ambassador of Jio and will be present at the scheduled soft launch on 27 December
- RBI against independent regulator for payment systems outside central bank
- Germany’s transport authority orders Opel to recall 73,000 diesel vehicles worldwide
- RBI opens banking tap to ease liquidity crunch at NBFCs
- New RBI norms put mobile wallets on par with payments banks
- Imminent NBFC slowdown could lead to credit crunch
Mumbai: Shah Rukh Khan will be brand ambassador for Mukesh Ambani’s ambitious telecom venture Reliance Jio, which will be launched over this weekend.
On Sunday, the company plans to soft launch Jio services and make them available to employees of Reliance Industries Ltd and their spouses. The appointment of a brand ambassador comes ahead of that event.
In an interview with ETV, a channel under the media umbrella of Reliance Industries, Khan said he has been appointed as brand ambassador of Jio and will be present at the scheduled soft launch on Sunday, 27 December.
A two-minute link of the interview is available on You Tube.
Khan said while the soft launch will happen on 27 December, more announcements from Jio will happen around March or April.
An email sent to R-Jio on Thursday did not confirm Khan’s appointment as the company’s brand ambassador.
“Shah Rukh Khan will be launching Jio on 27th December,” said the emailed response from R-Jio.
On 27 December, Ambani has invited all the company’s employees and their families to participate in the soft launch of its 4G service. Musician A.R. Rahman and Khan will be participating in the event, said Ambani in a letter to his employees on 17 December. Mint has a copy of the letter.
Khan is said to be one of the top paid actors in the Indian film industry and highest paid endorser of brands. He has been associated with other telecom and media companies including Bharti Airtel Ltd and Dish TV Ltd.
In October, Reliance Industries had informed analysts that a commercial launch of the company’s services will happen in the first half of the next calendar year. The company is currently testing the quality of its network.
Last month, the company changed R-Jio’s logo by dropping the traditional R synonymous with the Reliance Industries brand. The service will now go by the brand name of Jio. It’s logo has been designed to reflect modernity and vibrancy.
R-Jio holds spectrum totaling to 51.1MHz across the 800MHz, 1800MHz and 2300MHz bands. It has 2300 MHz across 22 telecom service areas, 1800 MHz across 18 circles and 800 MHz across 10 service areas. R-Jio is also in talks to share R-Com’s 800 MHz band spectrum in seven circles.
Telecom experts have said the challenge for the company will be to offer high-quality voice-based services over the internet, which can be its main differentiator compared with others like Airtel and Idea Cellular Ltd.
Editor's Picks »
- Opinion | Reviewing the Competition Act
- North-east monsoon set to make its onset around 26 October: IMD
- Audi’s electric SUV faces 4-week delay because of software bug
- Five of top-10 Indian firms add ₹31,381 crore in m-cap, ITC tops the chart
- September GST returns filing date extended by 5 days to 25 October
- Policy rethink and higher volumes to aid container shippers
- DCB Bank delivers a strong Q2 but pressure on margins foreseen
- Havells India: Rising costs give a jolt to profitability in September quarter
- All’s well at Mindtree, except for high client concentration risk
- India’s rising steel demand is making companies starry-eyed