Donald Trump plans to announce US Fed chair nominee on Thursday
US President Donald Trump is leaning toward picking US Federal Reserve governor Jerome Powell to lead the US central bank
Washington: US President Donald Trump plans to announce his choice for the next US Federal Reserve chairman on Thursday, the day before he departs for a trip to Asia, a White House official said.
The president is leaning toward picking US Federal Reserve governor Jerome Powell to lead the US central bank, according to three people familiar with the matter. Other candidates on his shortlist include current US Fed chair Janet Yellen, Stanford University economist John Taylor, former Fed governor Kevin Warsh and National Economic Council director Gary Cohn.
Trump stoked the sense of drama surrounding the announcement Friday by tweeting out a video teasing the event as one “people are anxiously awaiting” and promising “You’ll be very impressed”.
White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders had said last week Trump would make the announcement before he departs for the trip to Hawaii and Asia on Friday.
The central bank’s Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) is scheduled to meet on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. Bloomberg
Editor's Picks »
- With fall of the last dove, MPC minutes portend more than one RBI rate hike
- RITES IPO ticks the valuations box, but not the growth one
- Is Reliance Jio really India’s most profitable telecom firm?
- How US-China trade war will affect India
- Dear ICICI Bank board, giving a red card to Chanda Kochhar is not enough