ICICI Bank-Videocon loan case: CBI quizzes NuPower CFO
NuPower Renewables was founded by Deepak Kochhar, husband of ICICI Bank CEO Chanda Kochhar embroiled in the Videocon loan case
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Wednesday questioned Sunil Bhuta, chief financial officer of NuPower, as part of a preliminary enquiry against the company controlled by the husband of ICICI Bank managing director and chief executive Chanda Kochhar and Videocon group chairman Venugopal Dhoot.
The investigative agency stated that Bhuta was being questioned in Delhi.
The move comes two weeks after CBI questioned Chanda Kochhar’s brother-in-law Rajiv Kochhar, founder of financial services firm Avista Advisory Group.
A preliminary enquiry registered by the CBI early in March against her husband Deepak Kochhar, and Dhoot sought to verify an alleged conflict of interest in a Rs3,250 crore loan made by ICICI Bank to Videocon group.
ICICI Bank’s contribution was part of a Rs40,000 crore loan by a consortium of 20 banks in 2012.
Dhoot allegedly gave Rs64 crore in 2010 through a fully owned entity to NuPower Renewables Pvt. Ltd, a firm that he had set up with Deepak Kochhar and two of his relatives.
It was alleged that Dhoot transferred proprietorship of the company to a trust owned by Deepak Kochhar for Rs9 lakh, six months after receiving the loan from ICICI Bank—an allegation that he denied to Mint, stating that “Videocon did not possess shares of NuPower when ICICI sanctioned the loan.”
- Monetary policy panel cites inflationary risks as reason for RBI rate hike
- Vivo invests ₹200 crore to ramp up manufacturing at Greater Noida facility
- Ad agency Rediffusion to launch new logo, vision
- CSIR lab develops potential clot buster drug for stroke, licences it for clinical trials
- Falling rupee to inflate India’s oil import bill by $26 billion
Editor's Picks »
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee: India grieves demise, pays homage
- Turkey will emerge stronger from lira crisis, FM tells investors
- A Pie for everyone: Android Pie Go edition announced
- The billionaires and the guru: How Singh brothers burnt through $2 billion
- Opinion | Vajpayee knew India had to join the global economic mainstream
- Recent rise in trade deficit is not due to the oil prices
- Safeguard duty proposal has deepened uncertainty in the solar energy sector
- Fortis Healthcare: What now, after IHH entry and June quarter loss?
- Weak Q1 for Amara Raja but investors pin hopes on softening lead prices
- IDBI Bank Q1 results show how expensive it is for LIC