ICICI Bank-Videocon loan case: CBI quizzes NuPower CFO
NuPower Renewables was founded by Deepak Kochhar, husband of ICICI Bank CEO Chanda Kochhar embroiled in the Videocon loan case
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Wednesday questioned Sunil Bhuta, chief financial officer of NuPower, as part of a preliminary enquiry against the company controlled by the husband of ICICI Bank managing director and chief executive Chanda Kochhar and Videocon group chairman Venugopal Dhoot.
The investigative agency stated that Bhuta was being questioned in Delhi.
The move comes two weeks after CBI questioned Chanda Kochhar’s brother-in-law Rajiv Kochhar, founder of financial services firm Avista Advisory Group.
A preliminary enquiry registered by the CBI early in March against her husband Deepak Kochhar, and Dhoot sought to verify an alleged conflict of interest in a Rs3,250 crore loan made by ICICI Bank to Videocon group.
ICICI Bank’s contribution was part of a Rs40,000 crore loan by a consortium of 20 banks in 2012.
Dhoot allegedly gave Rs64 crore in 2010 through a fully owned entity to NuPower Renewables Pvt. Ltd, a firm that he had set up with Deepak Kochhar and two of his relatives.
It was alleged that Dhoot transferred proprietorship of the company to a trust owned by Deepak Kochhar for Rs9 lakh, six months after receiving the loan from ICICI Bank—an allegation that he denied to Mint, stating that “Videocon did not possess shares of NuPower when ICICI sanctioned the loan.”
- KG-D6 issue: Niko serves arbitration notice to RIL and BP
- CII asks RBI to cut repo rate, cash reserve ratio
- UCO Bank board approves raising Rs1,000 crore via QIP
- Reliance Jio Q3 profit swells 22% to Rs 831 crore, user base over 280 million
- Bombay HC to hear Kotak Mahindra Bank’s plea on stake dilution in March
Editor's Picks »
- Q3 results: HUL growth off a high base shows it’s on a roll
- DCB Bank Q3 results: Small loans give big pain as farm, mortgages lift delinquencies
- 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Is GST going the VAT way?
- Mindtree delivers stable Q3 results after a shock Q2
- RIL Q3 results today: Will Reliance Jio, Reliance Retail make up for lost energy?