DoT likely to approve Vodafone-Idea merger today
The merger will be taken on-record after Idea Cellular furnishes required bank guarantee and gives undertaking of owning the liabilities of Vodafone India that may arise in future
New Delhi: The telecom department is likely to approve on Monday the merger of Vodafone India and Idea Cellular that will create the country’s largest mobile service operator with proposed name of Vodafone Idea Ltd.
“DoT is expected to clear the Vodafone-Idea merger on Monday. The certificate will be handed to them,” an official told PTI. Idea and Vodafone have decided to combine their operations to create the country’s largest telecom operator worth over $23 billion (or over Rs1.5 trillion), with a 35% market share and a subscriber base of around 430 million.
The proposed merger is expected to give breather to both debt-ridden firms Idea and Vodafone, from cut-throat competition in the market where margins have hit rock bottom with free voice calls. The combined debt of both the companies is estimated to be around Rs1.15 trillion.
“The merger will be taken on-record after Idea furnishes required bank guarantee and gives undertaking of owning the liabilities of Vodafone India that may arise in future,” the official said.
The Department of Telecom (DoT) will seek a bank guarantee of around Rs2,100 crore pertaining to one-time spectrum fee of Idea Cellular and undertaking that the resultant will clear dues pertaining to one-time spectrum fee and other sub-judice matter in accordance with the court’s order. Idea will be asked to replace one-year bank guarantee of Vodafone India submitted for deferred spectrum payment. Vodafone and Idea will have to give undertaking of clearing dues that are sub-judice as per decision of the courts, the official said.
Idea will hold extraordinary general meeting on 26 June to change its name to Vodafone Idea Limited following the completion of merger. Vodafone will own 45.1 stake in the combined entity, while Kumar Mangalam Birla-led Aditya Birla Group would have 26% and Idea shareholders 28.9%.
Birla is proposed to be the non-executive chairman of the merged entity and Balesh Sharma is likely to be the new CEO. Idea’s chief financial officer Akshaya Moondra will head the financial operations of the new entity as its CFO. Ambrish Jain (currently the deputy MD at Idea Cellular) is set to become the new chief operating officer.
- KG-D6 issue: Niko serves arbitration notice to RIL and BP
- CII asks RBI to cut repo rate, cash reserve ratio
- UCO Bank board approves raising Rs1,000 crore via QIP
- Reliance Jio Q3 profit swells 22% to Rs 831 crore, user base over 280 million
- Bombay HC to hear Kotak Mahindra Bank’s plea on stake dilution in March
Editor's Picks »
- Q3 results: HUL growth off a high base shows it’s on a roll
- DCB Bank Q3 results: Small loans give big pain as farm, mortgages lift delinquencies
- 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Is GST going the VAT way?
- Mindtree delivers stable Q3 results after a shock Q2
- RIL Q3 results today: Will Reliance Jio, Reliance Retail make up for lost energy?