GE Power bags NTPC contract worth Rs309 crore for Telangana thermal plant
GE Power India has won a contract worth Rs309 crore by NTPC to install its flue gas desulphurisation system at Phase-I of its super thermal power project in Telangana
New Delhi: GE Power India on Tuesday said it has been awarded a contract worth Rs309 crore by NTPC to install its flue gas desulphurisation (FGD) system at Phase-I (2X800 MW) of its super thermal power project (STPP) in Telangana.
This is the first standalone FGD order for GE in the country since the notification of new emission norms for thermal power plants by the ministry of environment, forests & climate change (MoEFCC) in December 2015, a GE Power statement said.
The wet FGD system will have a wet limestone-based open spray tower type design, comprising of an absorber system, slurry preparation and dewatering system. The FGD package will be installed in a period of 30 months for unit-1 and 36 months for unit-2 from the date of contract, it added.
“Technologies such as FGD can play a significant role in controlling emissions from coal-based plants by reducing the SOx content in exit flue gas to the lowest levels anywhere in the world,” said Andrew H. DeLeone, managing director, GE Power India in a statement.
Following the emission norms for SOx (sulphur oxides) control issued by environment ministry in December 2015, it is mandatory for all thermal power plants in India to install FGD technology. An installed base of around 165GW of thermal plant has been identified by CEA for implementation of FGD, over and above the power plants presently under execution, it added.
With this new award, GE will further strengthen its position in the FGD market. This builds on GE’s previous standalone FGD project in India for NTPC’s phase V, unit- XIII (1 X 500MW) Vindyachal thermal power plant. In addition, GE is also executing turbine island package for Telangana phase-I (2X800MW) STPP, it said.
- Monetary policy panel cites inflationary risks as reason for RBI rate hike
- Vivo invests ₹200 crore to ramp up manufacturing at Greater Noida facility
- Ad agency Rediffusion to launch new logo, vision
- CSIR lab develops potential clot buster drug for stroke, licences it for clinical trials
- Falling rupee to inflate India’s oil import bill by $26 billion
Editor's Picks »
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee: India grieves demise, pays homage
- Turkey will emerge stronger from lira crisis, FM tells investors
- A Pie for everyone: Android Pie Go edition announced
- The billionaires and the guru: How Singh brothers burnt through $2 billion
- Opinion | Vajpayee knew India had to join the global economic mainstream
- Recent rise in trade deficit is not due to the oil prices
- Safeguard duty proposal has deepened uncertainty in the solar energy sector
- Fortis Healthcare: What now, after IHH entry and June quarter loss?
- Weak Q1 for Amara Raja but investors pin hopes on softening lead prices
- IDBI Bank Q1 results show how expensive it is for LIC