China’s Transsion picks up 80% stake in Spice Mobile

With this deal, Transsion will be handling manufacturing, sourcing and marketing Spice brand phones in India

PTI
Updated3 Sep 2017
Spice was among the top three highest selling handset brand even a few years back and had strong brand recall.
Spice was among the top three highest selling handset brand even a few years back and had strong brand recall.

Kolkata: Chinese communications firm Transsion Holding has picked up 80% stake in Spice Mobile as it aims to garner a larger market share in the fiercely competitive Indian mobile handset market.

“The brand Spice mobile was transfered to a special purpose vehicle (SPV). In the joint venture company, Transsion holds 80% stake while the Modis of the Spice Group holds the rest 20%,” a senior official told PTI who did not want to be quoted.

However, Transsion has no plan to buy out the remaining stake of the SPV.

With this deal, Transsion is handling manufacturing, sourcing and marketing Spice brand phones in India.

Transsion has adopted a multi-brand strategy in India positioning each brand for each segment of the huge Indian handset market. “We want to reposition Spice in the mid category segment of both feature and smartphones to compete with established brands catering to these segments (Rs800-Rs 9,000) including Samsung, Nokia and Micromax,” the official said.

Spice was among the top three highest selling handset brand even a few years back and had strong brand recall. “We are offering one year replacement warranty against standard 100 days of other brands,” he said.

Transsion began its Indian journey with Itel, a mass market feature phone. It also has Techno —its offline smartphone brand and online brand Infinix.

Catch all the Industry News, Banking News and Updates on Live Mint. Download The Mint News App to get Daily Market Updates.MoreLess
HomeindustrytelecomChina’s Transsion picks up 80% stake in Spice Mobile

Most Active Stocks

Tata Steel

179.85
10:29 AM | 21 JUN 2024
-2.5 (-1.37%)

Bharat Electronics

305.00
10:27 AM | 21 JUN 2024
-7.05 (-2.26%)

ITC

419.60
10:28 AM | 21 JUN 2024
-3.75 (-0.89%)

Vedanta

469.95
10:29 AM | 21 JUN 2024
-0.3 (-0.06%)
More Active Stocks

Market Snapshot

  • Top Gainers
  • Top Losers
  • 52 Week High

Railtel Corporation Of India

476.20
10:27 AM | 21 JUN 2024
41.8 (9.62%)

Titagarh Rail Systems

1,584.25
10:29 AM | 21 JUN 2024
89.05 (5.96%)

Rail Vikas Nigam

409.70
10:28 AM | 21 JUN 2024
22.35 (5.77%)

Honasa Consumer

449.85
10:26 AM | 21 JUN 2024
23.5 (5.51%)
More from Top Gainers

Recommended For You

    More Recommendations

    Gold Prices

    • 24K
    • 22K
    Bangalore
    74,492.00959.00
    Chennai
    74,274.00164.00
    Delhi
    74,710.00816.00
    Kolkata
    74,856.001,323.00

    Fuel Price

    • Petrol
    • Diesel
    Bangalore
    102.92/L0.06
    Chennai
    100.85/L-0.13
    Kolkata
    103.94/L0.00
    New Delhi
    94.72/L0.00
    OPEN IN APP
    HomeMarketsloanPremiumGet App