Tiger Global is said to take a $1 billion stake in Barclays
Tiger Global Management’s holding in Barclays now amounts to about 2.5%, making the hedge fund a top ten shareholder of the global bank
London: Tiger Global Management Llc has amassed a stake of about $1 billion in Barclays Plc, according to a person with knowledge of the hedge fund’s investment.
The New York-based firm’s holding now amounts to about 2.5%, the person said, asking not to be identified as the investment hasn’t been publicly disclosed. The purchase makes Tiger Global a top 10 investor in Barclays, the person said. It would be the seventh largest holder, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
A spokesman for Barclays declined to comment, while officials for Tiger Global in New York could not be reached outside regular business hours on Monday. The Financial Times reported Tiger Global’s investment earlier.
Tiger Global, headed by former Julian Robertson protege Chase Coleman, bought some of its stake in Barclays when the bank’s shares slumped to a 52-week low of less than 180 pence in November, the person said. The investment comes amid Barclays chief executive officer Jes Staley’s strategy to focus on the firm’s US-led investment bank and its UK-based consumer banking operation.
Staley’s bet on investment banking has come under increasing fire from analysts after revenue from trading stocks, bonds and currencies fell 31% in the third quarter, the worst markets performance in his two-year tenure. The CEO has repeatedly said the investment bank has to take on more risk and authorized the recruitment of numerous, and costly, high-profile hedge-fund traders. Bloomberg
- Motherson Sumi plans to invest Rs2,000 crore this fiscal to build new capacities
- Paytm says never shared users’ data with third-parties, government
- Four years of Modi govt: Labour reforms slow down despite policy revamp
- Job creation still a challenge after four years of Modi govt
- Oil prices slump 3% as Opec and Russia consider output boost
Editor's Picks »
- Why the ephemeris continues to thrive in the internet age
- Modi attacks Congress for spreading ‘lies and rumours’ on Dalit, farmer issues
- Banking on natural farming methods
- Narendra Modi inaugurates Rs11,000 crore Eastern Peripheral Expressway
- EPFO cuts administrative charges to 0.5%, firms to save together Rs900 crore annually
- Motherson Sumi continues to face margin pressure in foreign markets
- What the Warren Buffett indicator tells us about market valuations today
- Jet Airways lands with a thud in Q4 as fuel costs increase
- IBC amendments: Some dilutions, and a lot more speed
- Patanjali’s gambit is paying off in toothpaste wars