PNB fraud: CBI writes to five banks, seeks details of Nostro transactions
The overseas branches of Canara Bank, Bank of India, SBI, Allahabad Bank and Axis Bank had credited over Rs11,400 crore into PNB’s Nostro account on the basis of LoUs given to Nirav Modi and Mehul Choksi
New Delhi: The CBI has sought from the chief vigilance officers of five banks the details of financial transactions in the Nostro accounts of Punjab National Bank on the basis of 293 fraudulent Letters of Undertaking issued by it to jewellers Nirav Modi and Mehul Choksi, officials said.
The overseas branches of Canara Bank, Bank of India, State Bank of India, Allahabad Bank and Axis Bank had credited over Rs11,400 crore into the Nostro account of Punjab National Bank on the basis of the guarantees (LoUs) given to Modi and Choksi, they said.
The Nostro account refers to an account that a bank holds in a foreign currency in another bank overseas to enable foreign trade by its clients.
The CBI has now written to these five banks, having branches in Antwerp, Frankfurt, Mauritius, Hong Kong and Bahrain, to provide details of all such transactions to dig out a clear money trail of Rs11,400 crore.
Editor's Picks »
- Not every film can become a ‘Mahanati’: Actor Keerthy Suresh
- India to launch retaliatory tariffs on US imports from 4 August
- Swiggy raises $210 million in fresh funding from new, existing investors
- Pivot from oil or prepare to suffer: Un environment official tells Opec
- A ghost army that haunts Gulf rulers
- Why Indian paint makers are shifting to water-based paints
- 2019 elections still some time away but defence stocks get the jitters
- Complan and Horlicks sale signals low energy in health drinks market
- With fall of the last dove, MPC minutes portend more than one RBI rate hike
- RITES IPO ticks the valuations box, but not the growth one