Reliance Jio expands free 4G offer to Gionee, Karbonn, Lava users
Reliance Jio expands its total reach to about 60% of potential 4G customers in the country ahead of launch
- Paytm says never shared users’ data with third-parties, government
- Four years of Modi govt: Labour reforms slow down despite policy revamp
- Job creation still a challenge after four years of Modi govt
- Oil prices slump 3% as Opec and Russia consider output boost
- Oil prices drop below $80 vindicates cautious investors trimming bets
New Delhi: Reliance Jio has expanded its free 90-day unlimited calls and high-speed mobile broadband trial offer to users of 4G smartphones of Gionee, Karbonn and Lava, taking its total reach to about 60% of potential 4G customers in the country.
“Jio Preview Offer is now open to customers of all 4G smartphones from Gionee, Karbonn & Lava,” an industry trade source told PTI. The free Jio service is also available on 4G handsets of Samsung, LG, Micromax, Panasonic, TCL, Alcatel and Asus.
The owner of 4G-compliant handset from any of these brands needs to carry it to Reliance Digital stores, including Digital Xpress and Digital Xpress Mini, and other retail stores for a free SIM.
At the store, he will have to share the code generated on his phone with the help of a Jio mobile app. He can then get the Jio SIM, subject to submission of KYC documents.
As per Counterpoint Research, two out of every three smartphones shipped in April-June 2016 in India were LTE (4G) compatible.
As per the research agency, Samsung, Micromax and LYF, on which Jio service is already available, jointly accounted for about 46% of smartphone market share.
“If you exclude Chinese brands Lenovo, Vivo, Oppo, Xiaomi LeEco and Indian brand Intex on which Jio service is not available, the rest of the brands with this service accounts for about 15% market share. This takes Jio reach to about 60% 4G smartphones in India,” the source said.
As per the offer, customers can enjoy unlimited access to Jio services for 90 days from activation of Jio SIM. Jio’s 4G services include unlimited voice calls and video calls, unlimited SMS, unlimited 4G mobile broadband and applications like JioOnDemand (for movies), JioLive (for live TV shows), JioXpressNews and the like.
Editor's Picks »
- Motherson Sumi continues to face margin pressure in foreign markets
- What the Warren Buffett indicator tells us about market valuations today
- Jet Airways lands with a thud in Q4 as fuel costs increase
- IBC amendments: Some dilutions, and a lot more speed
- Patanjali’s gambit is paying off in toothpaste wars