Vodafone to activate new SIM cards with Aadhaar, biometrics
- SCO meet: No bilaterals between foreign, defence ministers of India, Pakistan
- Income tax dept steps up surveillance to crack down on unaccounted use of funds
- HDFC Bank Q4 net profit rises 20% to Rs4,799 crore
- Right to equality can be invoked if COC violates bankruptcy code: NCLT chairman
- L&T sells Bengaluru land parcel to Phoenix-CPPIB platform for Rs650 crore
New Delhi: Vodafone initiated e-KYC (know your customer) verification using only Aadhaar number and fingerprints as biometrics for rolling out new prepaid and postpaid mobile connections starting from Wednesday.
In partnership with the department of telecom, a pilot on Aadhaar was tested in two circles and is going to be rolled out in the entire country.
The use of e-KYC will reduce the amount of paperwork and also bring about uniformity in terms of documents submitted by all. The use of e-KYC will also drastically cut down delays in activating new connections because of infrastructure challenges such as power cuts, transporting volumes of paper, lack of photocopying and photography facilities.
Vodafone India has also developed an app so that all retailers can activate customers using e-KYC.