CCI clears RCom’s plans to sell infra assets to Reliance Jio
CCI has approved acquisition of RCom’s towers, optic fiber cable, right to use spectrum and media convergence nodes by Reliance Jio
New Delhi: Debt-laden Reliance Communications’ (RCom) proposal to sell infrastructure assets including towers, optic fibre cable and spectrum to Reliance Jio has been cleared by the Competition Commission of India (CCI).
“@CCI_India approves acquisition of RCOM’s towers, optic fiber cable, right to use spectrum and media convergence nodes by RJIO,” the anti-trust regulator tweeted. In December 2017, Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio had signed a pact to acquire the mobile business assets that includes spectrum, mobile towers and optical fibre network of RCom-owned by his younger brother Anil Ambani.
While neither Jio nor RCom had divulged the size of the deal, people in the know have pegged the transaction value at Rs18,000 crore. RCom statement, at that time, had said the deal packs in 122.4MHz of 4G spectrum in the 800/900/1800/2100 MHz bands, over 43,000 towers, 1,78,000 kilometres of fibre and 248 media convergence nodes.
At the time of the deal announcement, the companies had also said that the transaction is likely to be completed in a phased manner by March 2018. However, an arbitration panel in an interim order recently, has restrained RCom from asset sale or transfer, without its “specific permission”.
Reliance Group companies have sued HT Media Ltd, Mint’s publisher, and nine others in the Bombay high court over a 2 October 2014 front-page story that they have disputed. HT Media is contesting the case.
- Oil prices on shaky ground amid global financial market worries
- The evolution of Urjit Patel since demonetisation
- Creditors say can’t decide on resolution plan proposed by Essar Steel investors
- Railway Board gives in-principle approval to Rs55,000 crore Mumbai sub-urban rail project
- Nissan opens global digital hub in Kerala, first MNC to set up shop in state after 7 years
Editor's Picks »
- Urjit Patel resignation: An alarming challenge to the RBI
- Markets LIVE: Sensex, Nifty set for nervous start amid uncertainty after Urjit Patel’s resignation
- iPhone ban in China may push Apple, Qualcomm toward settlement
- Assembly Election Results: All you need to know before counting begins
- Madhya Pradesh election results updates: Congress looks to end BJP’s 15-year run
- Steel stocks get winter chill as China demand issues resurface
- Why Uday Kotak’s defiance is scaring his bank’s investors
- Exit RBI governor Urjit Patel, enter wrath of the markets?
- The government has a troubling message for minority shareholders
- Opec-allies’ output cut may not amount to big shift in oil prices