I-T dept probing 30,000 cases where ITRs were revised after demonetisation: CBDT
CBDT chief says the ITRs filed after 18 November last year were scrutinised against their earlier tax compliance following which these cases were detected
New Delhi: The income tax department is probing over 30,000 cases of alleged tax evasion wherein the returns were revised by assessees post demonetisation, Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) chief Sushil Chandra said on Monday.
The income tax returns (ITRs) filed after 18 November last year were scrutinised against their earlier tax compliance following which these cases were detected, he said.
“We are taking action in these instances,” Chandra told reporters on the sidelines of an event to mark the 157th income tax day in New Delhi. He said that after the first phase of ‘Operation Clean Money’, it was found that some assessees did not report about all their bank accounts to the taxman.
Under the Operation Clean Money, the I-T department is contacting those whose bank account deposits were seen to be suspicious post the note ban. “We have found that they (assessees) have got more accounts...they have given less accounts in their replies (to the department). We have now informed them through email and want their response over our website,” he said.
The income tax boss also said that India has an entry rate tax at 5% of the income which is one of the “lowest” across the globe. “It is a very reasonable rate of taxation....I do not think we can lower it at present,” he said.
Talking about the department’s action under the newly enacted Benami Transactions Act, Chandra said the taxman has made attachments worth Rs840 crore in 233 cases till now. “We have found that many shell companies are owning such (benami) properties. Action will be taken,” he added.
The demonetisation of Rs1,000 and Rs500 currency notes was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 8 November last year.
- Wipro CEO Abidali Neemuchwala’s pay package up over 34% to Rs18.23 crore in FY18
- WhatsApp to offer 24-hour customer support for its payments services in India
- Vodafone-Idea merger may get delayed as DoT looking to raise fresh demand of Rs4,700 crore
- Heads of 11-state owned banks to appear before parliamentary panel on Tuesday
- Government defers auction for 60 oil and gas fields by a month
Editor's Picks »
- There is very little talk about the impact of sustainability work
- What outrageous valuations of FMCG shares reveal about Indian markets
- Petrol prices cut for the fifth day, diesel price lowered
- 10 Indian embroidery traditions that make a serious style statement
- New stock ideas boost equity mutual fund portfolios