Aditya Birla Idea Payments Bank starts operations
Aditya Birla Idea Payments Bank is the fifth payments bank to roll out operations after the RBI gave its in-principle approval to 11 applicants in August 2015
Mumbai: Aditya Birla Idea Payments Bank Ltd (ABIPBL) started operations on Thursday, making it the fifth payments bank to roll out operations after the central bank gave its in-principle approval to 11 applicants in August 2015.
The roll-out comes at a time when the regulator has issued fresh know your customer norms for payments banks that are likely to increase operational costs for these banks.
“Aditya Birla Idea Payments Bank Limited has commenced operations as a payments bank with effect from 22 February, 2018. The Reserve Bank has issued a licence to the bank under Section 22 (1) of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 to carry on the business of payments bank in India,” a press release by RBI stated on Thursday.
The other payments banks that have started operations include Airtel Payments Bank Ltd, India Post Payments Bank Ltd, Paytm Payments Bank Ltd and Fino Payments Bank Ltd.
The other applicants that are yet to set up payments bank include Vodafone m-Pesa Ltd, Reliance Industries Ltd and National Securities Depository Ltd.
Three surrendered their licences.
- Enact new law to enable public credit registry, says RBI’s Viral Acharya
- PNB fraud: CBI court grants bail to ex-MD Usha Ananthasubramanian
- RBI staff to go on mass leave on 4 and 5 September over pension issues
- Everybody to blame for NPAs, says SBI chairman Rajnish Kumar
- Emerging markets turmoil revives a dreaded old Opec ghost
Editor's Picks »
- Floods bring to fore staff shortage at disaster management agencies
- Centre, states differ over who will foot bill for MSME tax break
- IITs move to cut course fees, woo more foreign students
- As India, Japan talk security, next in Delhi is China defence chief
- India’s GDP rose fourfold in 1993-2012, while wages only doubled: ILO