Aditya Birla Idea Payments Bank starts operations
Aditya Birla Idea Payments Bank is the fifth payments bank to roll out operations after the RBI gave its in-principle approval to 11 applicants in August 2015
Mumbai: Aditya Birla Idea Payments Bank Ltd (ABIPBL) started operations on Thursday, making it the fifth payments bank to roll out operations after the central bank gave its in-principle approval to 11 applicants in August 2015.
The roll-out comes at a time when the regulator has issued fresh know your customer norms for payments banks that are likely to increase operational costs for these banks.
“Aditya Birla Idea Payments Bank Limited has commenced operations as a payments bank with effect from 22 February, 2018. The Reserve Bank has issued a licence to the bank under Section 22 (1) of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 to carry on the business of payments bank in India,” a press release by RBI stated on Thursday.
The other payments banks that have started operations include Airtel Payments Bank Ltd, India Post Payments Bank Ltd, Paytm Payments Bank Ltd and Fino Payments Bank Ltd.
The other applicants that are yet to set up payments bank include Vodafone m-Pesa Ltd, Reliance Industries Ltd and National Securities Depository Ltd.
Three surrendered their licences.
- TRAI makes number porting faster, suggests fine for errant operators
- Insurance policyholders to get SMS on receipt of premium from 1 January
- Asia’s highest real rates may push RBI chief to ease policy
- HDFC to raise up to Rs1,500 crore by issuing bonds
- Govt mulls additional Rs30,000 crore capital infusion in PSU banks
Editor's Picks »
- Disney reorganises international business units, Uday Shankar to lead APAC
- Renault board keeps Carlos Ghosn as CEO, finds pay package legal
- IPL 2019 auctions | Players with highest base price: 5 takeaways
- PM Modi reviews steps taken to improve ease of doing business
- Man sets himself on fire near Sabarimala protest site in Kerala, dies
- Continuing volume momentum puts Indian ports in a good position
- Why did BJP lose Assembly Elections 2018? Retail inflation has answers
- Rural focus drives Hero MotoCorp, but inherent risks linger
- ‘Talk to me’, says RBI governor Shaktikanta Das in relief to markets
- Escorts: Japanese joint venture to hone growth in tractors