Germany’s Blaupunkt to invest $300 million in TV business in India in next 5 years
Blaupunkt launches eight TV models in three series--ranging from ₹12,999 to ₹47,999, aims to have a business of ₹500 crore in next 12 months
New Delhi: German consumer electronics maker Blaupunkt will invest around $300 million (₹2,158 crore) in television business in India in next 3 to 5 years along with its India partner, said a top company official.
The investment would be made by Blaupunkt and Trigur Electronics jointly on marketing/branding and manufacturing at Trigur’s plant in Sonepat, Haryana.
Blaupunkt, which would sell its products in Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh besides India, aims to have a business of ₹500 crore in next 12 months.
“We have plans to invest $300 million in next 3 to 5 years... This would be together with our local partner (Trigur Electronics),” Blaupunkt managing director Andrzej Cebart told PTI.
During IFA Berlin 2018 Trade Show last month, Blaupunkt officially announced to foray into the Indian market. Blaupunkt and Trigur have entered into a long-term licence agreement, he said without disclosing the time period. “We have a long time agreement... We have a minimum 10-year vision and beyond,” he said, adding this has not only been created for the Indian market but also for the neighbouring countries.
Blaupunkt Tuesday introduced eight TV models in three series, ranging from ₹12,999 to ₹47,999. Presently Blaupunkt TVs are available in Europe, Africa, Australia, New Zealand and Israel.
The company has tied up with e-commerce major Flipkart and its TVs would be sold exclusively through this channel only.
When asked whether the company has plans to go offline or to other online channels, Blaupunkt Television India MD & CEO Karan Bedi said:”We have no such plans as of now and we would continue to sell with Flipkart”. Bedi, who is also managing director, Trigur said the plant would have a capacity to roll out one lakh units of TV per month.
About the sales, Bedi said: “We are aiming to have ₹500 crore revenue in next 12 months .”
The Indian TV market is estimated to be of 12 to 14 million units and is very competitive as over 25 companies are operating in the segment.
Indian smart TV market is expected to grow at 14.7% annually over FYs 2016-21 and by the end of 2018, the Indian television market may touch revenue of ₹11.78 billion, registering a growth of 12.97%.
- Nigeria seen as biggest rice buyer in 2019, behind China
- Demonetisation highly ethical move, not political: Jaitley
- Government, telcos meet this month to find solution to call drops, poor quality of service
- ITC launches four variants of Sunfeast Yippee noodles
- Most PCA banks meet priority sector lending goals for MSMEs, shows analysis
Latest News »
Editor's Picks »
- US seeks to counter China with Papua New Guinea power grid
- Musk says SpaceX isn’t planning to reuse the Falcon 9 rocket
- Opinion | Can central banks go broke? A question for India
- Gold weekly price review: Wedding season fails to cheer up bullion market
- Government announces nine top bureaucratic postings
- Future Retail’s Q2 result shows improvement in same-store sales
- Private insurance firms grow at the expense of LIC stuck with a sick bank
- Page Industries’s lofty valuations get a reality check in Q2
- Q2 results: Grasim’s Vodafone Idea stake is proving costly
- How Vodafone Idea’s $3.5 bn fundraising will impact telecom in India