European football: On the bench
The most expensive players in English football who cannot find a place in their teams
They are the heavyweights of European football (or, at least, they were, once). They have been world champions, European champions, winners of the football leagues and cups in their respective countries and the Champions League. They made headlines each time they signed up for a club. And yet, here they are, sitting on the sidelines due to injuries or inconsistent performances in the recent past.
As the record-breaking splurge by English clubs this season is grabbing all the headlines, here’s a look at the most expensive players in the world who cannot find a place in their club’s playing XI. Because of their high salaries—the number in the graphic is their approximate weekly wage—they have not been able to get transfers to other clubs either. A no-win situation.
Editor's Picks »
- What ABB India’s performance in June quarter says about capex growth
- Bajaj Finance does well in Q1 even as competition hots up
- Kotak Mahindra Bank: The perils of being priced to perfection
- Higher cane price crushes hopes of sugar mills
- Market optimism before 2019 general election: History may not repeat itself