European football: On the bench
- The sixth-generation Apple iPad has almost everything users need
- Inside PVR Cinemas’ CEO Gautam Dutta’s office in Gurugram
- How Indian companies are aligning with UN’s SDG 12
- Uncertainty to persist in Sensex, Nifty amid hopes for Q4 earnings recovery
- DIIs flocking to mutual funds, equities due to TINA factor
They are the heavyweights of European football (or, at least, they were, once). They have been world champions, European champions, winners of the football leagues and cups in their respective countries and the Champions League. They made headlines each time they signed up for a club. And yet, here they are, sitting on the sidelines due to injuries or inconsistent performances in the recent past.
As the record-breaking splurge by English clubs this season is grabbing all the headlines, here’s a look at the most expensive players in the world who cannot find a place in their club’s playing XI. Because of their high salaries—the number in the graphic is their approximate weekly wage—they have not been able to get transfers to other clubs either. A no-win situation.