European football: On the bench
- Ambit CEO Ashok Wadhwa to buy QInvest’s stake in the group
- Parag Milk buys Danone dairy factory in Haryana
- Bringing China and India together will not be easy, says Jaishankar
- Insight is the hallmark of leadership, says Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev
- Collaboration key to harnessing opportunities in business ecosystem
They are the heavyweights of European football (or, at least, they were, once). They have been world champions, European champions, winners of the football leagues and cups in their respective countries and the Champions League. They made headlines each time they signed up for a club. And yet, here they are, sitting on the sidelines due to injuries or inconsistent performances in the recent past.
As the record-breaking splurge by English clubs this season is grabbing all the headlines, here’s a look at the most expensive players in the world who cannot find a place in their club’s playing XI. Because of their high salaries—the number in the graphic is their approximate weekly wage—they have not been able to get transfers to other clubs either. A no-win situation.