Leander Paes eyes world record in Davis Cup
Leander Paes is aiming at a world high—to equal Nicola Pietrangeli’s record for the most doubles victories in the Davis Cup: 42
Leander Paes may have established himself as India’s most successful Davis Cup player, with his 17-year career studded with some stunning wins. The Indian is now aiming at a world high—to equal Nicola Pietrangeli’s record for the most doubles victories in the Davis Cup: 42.
Forty-three-year-old Paes currently holds a win-loss record of 41-11 in 52 ties, while the Italian, the most successful player in Davis Cup history, is at 42-12 in 66 ties.
But it seems an improbable task for the Indian, who will pair up with teenager Sumit Nagal in the Davis Cup play-off tie against Spain in New Delhi from 16-18 September, after India’s top doubles player Rohan Bopanna pulled out of the competition owing to injury.
Paes and Nagal will go up against Spain’s Marc López and Feliciano López. The Spanish duo won the French Open this year. Marc also won the gold medal, with Rafael Nadal, at the Rio Olympics last month.
Also read: India’s mission impossible in Davis Cup
Editor's Picks »
- PMAY subsidy: HDFC disburses Rs 1,100 crore to 51,000 home buyers
- Jet Airways cancels 10 flights from Mumbai, flyers stranded
- Are PSU banks getting a hang of their bad loans?
- Sensex Today LIVE: Sensex rises over 150 points, Nifty above 10,700 ahead of RBI board meet
- Outsourcing firms Serco, Capita to be required to make ‘living wills’