Features that WhatsApp will add soon
Your favourite instant messenger app has some cool new features up its sleeve
WhatsApp continues to be the most popular mobile messenger and one of the reasons is the new features it keeps adding frequently. Improving the user experience and making the app fun for the younger generation are some of the driving principles behind most of these new features and updates. They are often tested through beta releases, rolled back and then launched again when they are stable enough for a wider demographic of smartphone users.
Here are some of the upcoming features which we have spotted in beta versions of the app on Android and iOS, and are expected to be released to all users soon.
The option to make monetary transactions through messaging apps is not new. Facebook Messenger allows it, while Hike messenger supports UPI payments. WhatsApp has reportedly started rolling out the UPI payment feature to Android beta users in phases. The company has been in talks with various Indian banks and NPCI (National Payments Corporation of India) to incorporate the feature in its app. When added, it will allow users to send money directly into a friend’s account from WhatsApp. The feature was spotted in beta version 2.17.295 by a tech blog called WabetaInfo.
Colourful text status
The Facebook feature which allows users to add colourful background in the text status screen is likely to roll out soon on WhatsApp. The feature was spotted by Android Police in the WhatsApp beta version 2.17.291. Once added, a bevy of colour options will pop up when users open the status screen. The text status feature is basically an option in My Status which only shows text. The colourful background will give it a more cheerful look.
The option to add photo filters in WhatsApp, which is currently available only to iOS users, is likely to roll out on Android app soon. The feature was first noticed in WhatsApp beta version 2.17.297 by Android Police along with five photo filters— monochrome, cool, pop, chrome and film. The photo filters feature shows up when users swipe up on the screen after taking a picture for an ongoing chat.
YouTube integration is another WhatsApp feature which is designed to make users spend more time on the platform. The company is testing the feature on iOS. It was spotted by WabetaInfo on iOS beta version 2.17.40. It basically allows users to expand and watch videos by tapping on the YouTube link shared by friend. Its biggest advantage is that users won’t be redirected to the YouTube app to view videos anymore.
Editor's Picks »
- France’s Engie appoints Rothschild to find a buyer for Indian solar biz
- Going into 2019, has brand Modi lost some of its sheen?
- Sun Pharma’s cancer injection from Halol plant gets USFDA nod
- A click moment for us was raising ₹100 crore in seed round to chase our dreams: Manish Lunia
- HDFC mutual fund arm to launch its ₹2,800 crore initial share sale next week
- Fund managers slashing allocations to equities in emerging markets, shows BAML survey
- ICICI Lombard tightens grip on profitability in a lean growth quarter
- TCNS Clothing IPO: Valuations capture the upsides adequately
- Nightmare of Indian Accounting Standard 115 comes to haunt firms in the real estate sector
- What is driving the optimism in stocks of paint companies?