Parental control apps
Make parental control cooler with these apps and services
The Blue Whale Challenge has both parents and authorities worried. How does one monitor, let alone stop, something that is addictive and can be fatal?
Dedicated parental control apps and services can help you track your children both online and offline.
As the name suggests, Screen Time keeps a check on the time your children spend on their devices and gives you updates on your phone or tablet. It offers a “pause” option that can freeze the screens of all the devices you have installed Screen Time on. Children cannot remove the Screen Time app; uninstalling it requires a secure password. Screen Time also allows parents to approve the apps that can be downloaded.
Available on: iOS, Android and Amazon devices
The app comes with useful features such as location tracking and panic alerts. It gives you a breakdown of the time your children spend on the web, social media and other apps. Apart from options to block inappropriate content and balance screen time, parents can also monitor calls and messages on their ward’s phone.
Available on: iOS, Android, Windows, Mac OS and Kindle
Once you register on KidLogger and install the app on your children’s devices, it starts collecting data related to activity on these devices. The data is stored on KidLogger’s server in the form of a journal that parents can access at any time. KidLogger offers a spate of features: most used apps, web history monitoring, time spent on a device, data leak prevention, and messenger app monitoring.
Available on: Android, Windows and Mac OS
OpenDNS Family Shield
OpenDNS provides security and monitoring features at the network level. That means you can protect any device in your home that connects to the internet—laptops, smartphones, tablets, even gaming consoles. This can be set up from the OpenDNS website. With more users falling prey to malware attacks, the OpenDNS Family Shield is a good option if you are looking to make your home internet safe. Family Shield also comes with a built-in identity theft protection feature and filters inappropriate content.
- Crime linked to Blockchain soars 629% in Q1, says report
- IBM builds Artificial Intelligence machine that can debate with humans
- Not just IRCTC app, Indian Railways now has an app for almost every service it offers
- Wikipedia edit-a-thons: Fighting the fake news menace, one edit at a time
- Affective gaming goes to the next level
Editor's Picks »
- With fall of the last dove, MPC minutes portend more than one RBI rate hike
- RITES IPO ticks the valuations box, but not the growth one
- Is Reliance Jio really India’s most profitable telecom firm?
- How US-China trade war will affect India
- Dear ICICI Bank board, giving a red card to Chanda Kochhar is not enough