Gig Watch: Loretta Holloway
South Carolina’s First Lady of Song Loretta Holloway has a mesmerizing voice that adds a touch of magic to old jazz standards
Mumbai jazz and R&B-heads are in for a treat as Loretta Holloway—known as “South Carolina’s First Lady of Song”—is performing at The Quarter this weekend. A regular on the Las Vegas and Atlantic City showroom circuit, Holloway has a mesmerizing, captivating voice that adds a touch of elegance and magic to her renditions of American jazz standards. Over the years, she has opened for artists like Whoopi Goldberg, Don Rickles, Rich Little and Jerry Lewis, and was presented to Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip in a Royal Command Performance in Australia. Don’t miss the opportunity to see her cast her spell in The Quarter’s intimate setting.
When & where
Loretta Holloway plays at The Quarter, Mumbai, today. Tickets, available on www.insider.in, start from ₹1,999.
Holloway’s stripped version of Billie Holiday’s Strange Fruit—one of the first anti-lynching protest songs—is both haunting and topical. It’s a beautiful tribute to the tempestuous jazz great.
- Opinion | Binny Bansal’s exit shows why start-ups must pay attention to governance early
- Business of life: Stop complaining about your colleagues
- Business of life: When your travel goals are a match made in heaven
- Take stock to understand why engagement surveys often disengage employees
- Take the challenge to solo travel and learn to love your own company
- ICICI Bank hikes FD rates. How they compare with HDFC Bank, SBI FD rates
- Ford, Walmart collaborate to design automated-vehicle delivery
- KMP Expressway inauguration by PM Modi on 19 Nov: 5 things to know
- OPEC president says group, allies will cut oil output as needed
- Apollo Hospitals Enterprise Q2 net profit up 11%