No reply yet from ICICI Bank on Chanda Kochhar issue: Sebi’s Ajay Tyagi
ICICI Bank CEO Chanda Kochhar is under scanner over a Rs3,250 crore loan granted to Videocon Group on a ‘quid pro quo’
Mumbai: Sebi chairman Ajay Tyagi on Thursday said the regulator is yet to receive reply from the ICICI Bank on allegations involving its CEO Chanda Kochhar. Besides the capital markets regulator, various other agencies, including the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), are looking into alleged lapses involving Kochhar and her family members with respect to loans extended by the lender to certain entities, including the Videocon group.
“We are yet to receive reply from the ICICI Bank,” Tyagi said while briefing reporters after Sebi board meeting in Mumbai.
The cases under scanner include the bank’s Rs3,250 crore loan to Videocon Group in 2012 and the involvement of Kochhar family members in restructuring of the loan.
Kochhar and her family members are facing allegations of quid pro quo and conflict of interest with respect to a loan extended to certain entities.
On Monday, the ICICI Bank announced that Kochhar has decided to go on leave till the completion of an external enquiry into alleged conflict of interest in extending loans to some corporates like Videocon and named Sandeep Bakhshi as the chief operating officer.
Editor's Picks »
- India’s renewable energy sector hits a milestone but loses speed
- All eyes now on share swap ratio in this mega bank merger
- Jet Privilege can actually get higher valuation than Jet Airways
- Profitability of cement firms to take a hit due to weak prices, high costs
- Pidilite’s shares hold their ground despite weak rupee and rising crude