No-claim bonus from company’s name can be transferred to you

You need to submit a letter from your employer; after which the insurer will the NCB benefit to you

Abhishek Bondia
First Published11 Nov 2014, 06:57 PM IST
Pradeeep Gaur/Mint<br />
Pradeeep Gaur/Mint

I have a 1-lakh health insurance cover from a private sector insurer and want to increase my cover to at least 5 lakh. Is it better to stay with the same company or should I look for a new insurer?

—Thomas Cherian

Assuming that you are satisfied with the product structure of the current insurer vis-a-vis room rent, disease wise restrictions and so on, it is better to enhance your sum assured with the current insurer itself. This will save you the hassle of porting your old policy. Some insurers do waive medical checks for enhancement, depending on age and medical conditions.

I am travelling abroad for a month with my family. I plan to purchase a travel insurance cover for the entire family. If I have to use the cover for a medical emergency, do I get cashless facility abroad as well or would I have to wait till I return to India to get reimbursement?

—Subhash Ghosh

It is possible to get cashless facility under travel insurance. Insurers typically have a tie-up with an international network of hospitals that provides this service.

While choosing a travel insurance product, you should evaluate the quality and reputation of the insurer’s affiliated network. The international cashless process is similar to the domestic process. You have to call the insurance company’s customer service to know the network hospitals in the region. Once you visit the hospital, a cashless request is sent by the hospital to the insurer and processed further.

I had a car in the name of my company that was carrying a no-claim bonus (NCB) of 35%. I have left the company and retained the car. Can I carry on with the NCB?

—Anjali Sharma

Yes, you can carry forward the NCB from company’s name to your name. You need to submit a letter from your employer that the car was being used by you and it has transferred the vehicle in your name. Thereafter, the insurer will transfer the NCB benefit to you.

I had bought an unfurnished house about five years ago and insured it. Recently, I spent 5 lakh on renovations. Is it possible to increase the sum assured accordingly?

—Gayathri Paniker

You can increase the sum assured during the policy term. You would need to endorse the higher sum assured in the policy and pay an extra premium for the remaining period of insurance.

At the time of enhancement, ensure proper classification of sum assured. If the 5 lakh was spent in structural improvements, for instance, tiles, the sum assured should be classified under the ‘building’ section. If the enhancement came due to new contents, such as furniture, then put this under the ‘contents’ section.

Queries and views at

Catch all the Business News, Market News, Breaking News Events and Latest News Updates on Live Mint. Download The Mint News App to get Daily Market Updates.MoreLess
First Published:11 Nov 2014, 06:57 PM IST
HomemoneycalculatorsNo-claim bonus from company&#8217;s name can be transferred to you

Most Active Stocks


10:36 AM | 15 JUL 2024
5.75 (1.52%)

Tata Steel

10:36 AM | 15 JUL 2024
-1.15 (-0.68%)

Bharat Electronics

10:36 AM | 15 JUL 2024
-0.25 (-0.08%)

Indian Oil Corporation

10:36 AM | 15 JUL 2024
1.7 (1.02%)
More Active Stocks

Market Snapshot

  • Top Gainers
  • Top Losers
  • 52 Week High

Tanla Platforms

10:30 AM | 15 JUL 2024
89.8 (9.43%)

Vardhaman Textiles

10:30 AM | 15 JUL 2024
39.4 (7.55%)


10:30 AM | 15 JUL 2024
179.75 (6.85%)

HBL Power Systems

10:30 AM | 15 JUL 2024
38.75 (6.77%)
More from Top Gainers

Recommended For You

    More Recommendations

    Gold Prices

    • 24K
    • 22K

    Fuel Price

    • Petrol
    • Diesel
    New Delhi
    HomeMarketsCibilPremiumMint Shorts