Ketan Parekh sentenced to 3 years in jail for violation of Sebi Act
A special Sebi court convicted Ketan Parekh and his relative Kartik in a securities scam for violating the Sebi Act. Court also imposes a fine of Rs10 lakh on both
Mumbai: A special Sebi court on Tuesday convicted Ketan Parekh and his relative in a securities scam for violating the Sebi Act and sentenced them to three years in jail.
Special judge V.C. Barde also imposed a fine of Rs10 lakh on Parekh and his relative Kartik. The court had found them and their company guilty of non-payment of penalty. Karthik was later granted bail by the court.
According to the Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi), it had found that the acquisition of shares of Shonkh Technologies International was made in violation of the Sebi Act. After this, an adjudication process was initiated and the presiding officer imposed a penalty of Rs6,50,000 of them.
Later they filed an appeal in the Securities Appellate Tribunal however it was dismissed in 2007. The accused had offered demand draft of part payment of penalty as an instalment but the adjudicating officer refused. The DD was not accepted as there is no provision for deferring payment of penalty.
Later Sebi approached the special court. Even in the special court the accused prayed for compounding the offences but the court rejected it.
- Sebi approves amendments to takeover, buyback norms
- Gold prices fall by Rs145 today, silver steady
- Bank of Maharashtra shares slump 7% after CEO’s arrest, hit fresh 52-week low
- RITES IPO sees over 200% subscription on Day 2, issue to close tomorrow
- Market strategy in election year: Load up on large caps, raise cash level
Editor's Picks »
- Why Indian paint makers are shifting to water-based paints
- 2019 elections still some time away but defence stocks get the jitters
- Complan and Horlicks sale signals low energy in health drinks market
- With fall of the last dove, MPC minutes portend more than one RBI rate hike
- RITES IPO ticks the valuations box, but not the growth one