‘What is Bitcoin?’ topped Google’s 2018 trending list
Bitcoin is not the only cryptocurrency Google users are interested in. ‘How to buy Ripple’ was the fourth most-asked how to question, Google Trends data show
Bitcoin’s mesmerizing rise and fall in the past year has left investors and regulators asking what just happened?
Many are also asking an even more fundamental question: ‘What is Bitcoin?’ In fact, that was the most searched definition in the US and UK in 2018, according to Google Trends.
While previously notorious among anarchists and day traders, Bitcoin, which turned 10 this year, gained mainstream recognition after surging 1,400 percent in 2017 and then falling 80 percent in 2018. But making sense of assets that are digital, created by computer networks and susceptible to extreme volatility is no mean feat. And that’s not to mention all the jargon: blockchain, hash rate, miners and nodes.
Bitcoin is not the only cryptocurrency Google users are interested in. ‘How to buy Ripple’ was the fourth most-asked how to question, Google Trends data show. The cryptocurrency widely referred to as Ripple is actually named XRP, just to add to the mayhem.
Editor's Picks »
- Q3 results: HUL growth off a high base shows it’s on a roll
- DCB Bank Q3 results: Small loans give big pain as farm, mortgages lift delinquencies
- 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Is GST going the VAT way?
- Mindtree delivers stable Q3 results after a shock Q2
- RIL Q3 results today: Will Reliance Jio, Reliance Retail make up for lost energy?