Home / Money / Personal-finance /  Mint classroom: how to get mutation of residential property

Once you buy a property and get it registered or transferred in your name, the next important task is to apply for mutation of property title. Even for inherited property, you need to get this done. Mutation is the process of updating the title of an immovable property, in name of the new owner, in the land revenue records. With these updated records, the new owner becomes liable to pay the property taxes. Besides that, in order to transfer utility connections, one needs to provide mutation documents. Mint explains the process step-by-step.

Step 1:

Arrange the documents. Along with the application for mutation, you need to provide an affidavit and an indemnity bond, indemnifying the authority in case of any dispute against the mutation application. Other documents needed are: personal identity and address proof, sale deed of the property, and receipt of up-to-date property tax payment. For an inherited property, you may also need to give Will, death certificate, succession certificate and no-objection certificates from other legal heirs.

Step 2:

Once you have all the documents, write the application. If the property is jointly owned, make sure that the details of each person are correctly stated in the application. You can download the form, or a specimen of the application from the website of the authority concerned. For instance, if the property is located in Delhi, forms and performas such as affidavits, indemnity bonds and relinquishment deeds are available on the authority’s website

Step 3:

Along with the application and required documents, apply for the mutation at the concerned authority. Mutation of property records takes place at the local competent municipal authority office, in whose jurisdiction the property is located. Remember, fee and the required documents may vary based on the type of property. It can also vary from state to state. Once you submit everything, it can take 15 days to a month to get the details updated in the government records.

Subscribe to Mint Newsletters
* Enter a valid email
* Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter.
Recommended For You
Edit Profile
Get alerts on WhatsApp
Set Preferences My ReadsFeedbackRedeem a Gift CardLogout