Bandhan Bank’s share defies gravity as growth story is intact
Bandhan Bank stock is already trading at a rich multiple of 5.3 times its estimated book value for FY20. But analysts are still gung-ho on the bank
India’s youngest full-service bank and the eighth most valuable lender Bandhan Bank Ltd’s stock surged almost 7% in response to its first quarter results, a sign that should warn off investors over valuation. After all, this rise comes on top of a 60% surge since the lender got listed on 26 March. The stock is already trading at a rich multiple of 5.3 times its estimated book value for FY20.
But analysts are still gung-ho on the private sector lender which will celebrate its third anniversary in under two weeks. Is this exuberance irrational?
A look at the lender’s growth offers some validation for the premium valuation its stock commands. For the June quarter, Bandhan Bank reported a 52% jump in its loan book that led to 39% growth in its net interest income, the core income a lender earns. That and a 47% rise in net profit was reason enough for investors to celebrate.
While non-microloan disbursals have jumped 59%, much of the increase in the loan book still comes from the bank’s legacy of microfinance. Microloan disbursals grew 108% from a year ago but these inflated percentages are also due to a very low base. Recall that in the first quarter of FY18, loan disbursals had shrunk as microfinance-oriented entities struggled in the aftermath of demonetization. The microfinance book has grown by a mere 1.1% from the previous quarter. Nevertheless, it still constitutes a lion’s share of the loan book.
But the scorching loan growth has left a mark on asset quality. Bad loans formed 1.24% of its loan book on a gross basis, up from 0.93% a year ago. The stock of bad assets has doubled in the last one year. To be fair, collections from micro-borrowers are typically tepid during the first quarter. Even so, it would be wise to watch for the movement of bad loans in the coming quarters.
For now, the results have provided support to the stock’s high valuations.
- Supreme Court’s decision on Aadhaar: impact on tax compliance
- Sensex, BSE MidCap valuation gap shrinks sharply in FY19
- Gold prices today rise by nearly Rs 200, silver rates recover
- Oil trades below $70 as stockpile gain counters US-Saudi row
- Deals Buzz: Reliance to buy majority stake in Hathway, Den Networks for Rs 5,230 crore
- India’s rising steel demand is making companies starry-eyed
- ACC’s operating margins feel the stress as cost pressures grow
- Federal Bank rides out Kerala floods but growth metrics need to sustain
- RIL’s consumer businesses deliver on growth; investments stay high
- Hero MotoCorp Q2: Costs apply brakes on profit growth