India may give freer rein to rupee after making into US forex list
India’s addition to the US treasury’s monitoring list for currency manipulation makes it more likely the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will give freer rein to the rupee when it rises against the dollar, analysts say.
India increased its purchases of foreign currency last year and has a “significant” trade surplus with the US, the treasury noted in its semi-annual report on foreign-exchange practices released in Washington on Friday.
The rupee has been the second-worst performing Asian currency this year, dropping 2.4% against the dollar, after strengthening 6.4% in 2017.
- Global economy: It is just a cold, or something more serious
- Flipkart could sale controlling stake to Walmart as early as next week
- Narendra Modi holds talks with German Chancellor Angela Merkel
- Walmart nominates McDonald’s CEO Steve Easterbrook to board
- Apple to replace some MacBook Pro faulty batteries