What is annuity and how can it be used by retired people
If you have a lump sum already, you can buy an immediate annuity product or you can invest in pension plans that help you accumulate a corpus first and then use the corpus to buy an annuity.
An annuity product is a financial instrument that gives periodic income for life. Annuity products are sold by life insurance companies and help address an important concern of regular income for retired individuals.
If you have a lump sum already, you can buy an immediate annuity product or you can invest in pension plans that help you accumulate a corpus first and then use the corpus to buy an annuity. These are called deferred annuity plans. Pension plans offered by life insurance companies and even the National Pension System (NPS) come in this category because they first help you build a corpus and on retirement require you to buy an annuity product with a part of that corpus.
Immediate annuity, on the other hand, doesn’t need you to commit to accumulating a corpus. Just take your money and buy an annuity from any insurer that provides immediate annuity.
However, when shopping for an annuity product, keep in mind that depending on the type of annuity you choose, you get a fixed payout for life.
So annuitising the entire retirement corpus means you may not be able to inflation-index your income.
- RBI to inject ₹8,000 crore liquidity on 22 November
- US markets: Dow Jones sheds 400 points on Apple slide, trade woes
- Offshore India funds, ETFs see net outflow of $1.8 billion in Sept quarter
- Relief for rupee? Citigroup sees dollar topping out in 2019
- Bitcoin price falls below $5,000 for first time in 13 months
Editor's Picks »
- Nominations over, but Congress-TJS still undecided about seat share
- Leaders opposing BJP must work together: N. Chandrababu Naidu
- Opinion | Tackling India’s inflation and policy puzzles
- CBI official moves Supreme Court against transfer, says it’s arbitrary
- Another top exit at Yes Bank as R. Chandrashekhar resigns