A policy under a group health plan is not transferable

A policy under a group health plan is not transferable

Is it possible for me to transfer a policy given to me under a group health plan by my current employer to my proposed new place of employment?

If the new employer provides group health benefits to its employees, then you would become eligible to be covered under that policy, subject to the HR policies of the new employer. Else you can opt for an appropriate individual health policy to cover your family members.

I was under the impression cashless settlement is limited to health plans, but now, Tata AIG has sent me an e-advertisement that their motor insurance has such a facility too. In the event of an accident, what should one do to file a cashless claim? Which other insurers are offering cashless motor insurance?

Almost all insurers offer the cashless facility for motor customers by way of the cashless tie-ups that they have with various dealers across the country. Customers may avail assistance over their “cashless requirements" with the help of the contact cards that are enclosed along with the policies.

Third-party liabilities are not covered by cashless claims. The injured or the legal heirs of the deceased will have to approach the motor accident claims tribunal. Once the insurer has identified the case as fit for compromise, then they will take proactive steps to bring an amicable settlement and process the settlement through the court.

Readers are welcome to write in with their life and general insurance queries to insurancequeries@livemint.com. The questions will be answered by senior executives from leading insurance firms.

Ajay Bimbhet is managing director, Royal Sundaram Alliance Insurance Company Ltd.