The sitting ducks in a trade war
Indian IT and pharmaceutical exports to the US could be hit the hardest if the US administration were to focus on the large India-US trade imbalance
A report by Kotak Institutional Equities Research says: “Indian IT (information technology) and pharmaceutical exports to the US could be sitting ducks if the US administration were to focus on the large India-US trade imbalance. These sectors are, incidentally, the current market favourites, given concerns about global trade (ironically) and a weak domestic macro.”
The accompanying charts show India’s rising surplus in India-US goods trade and the sectors that have the most goods exports to the US, which could be hit the hardest in the event of rising trade tensions between the two countries.
Editor's Picks »
- Recent rise in trade deficit is not due to the oil prices
- Safeguard duty proposal has deepened uncertainty in the solar energy sector
- Fortis Healthcare: What now, after IHH entry and June quarter loss?
- Weak Q1 for Amara Raja but investors pin hopes on softening lead prices
- IDBI Bank Q1 results show how expensive it is for LIC