Where India stands among Asian economies in manufacturing growth
India stands in the middle of the Asian pack in the manufacturing PMI league tables for May
Chart 1 shows that India stands in the middle of the Asian pack in the manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) league tables for May. Note that China’s reading is below 50, which means the manufacturing sector has contracted from the previous month. Several other Asian economies also show a contraction in manufacturing.
Chart 2 shows that the Nikkei India Manufacturing PMI is at a three-month low and so is the New Orders Index. That suggests a recovery from the demonetization-induced slump in manufacturing is taking time and is unlikely to be V-shaped.
Editor's Picks »
- Chief technology officers of Reliance Jio, Bharti Airtel quit
- IIT-Bombay generates ₹17.99 crore revenue in 2017-18, highest among IITs
- EPFO payroll data shows 4.4 million jobs created in 9 months till May
- Dubai recipe for economic success looks stale as markets slump
- CWC meet: Rahul Gandhi says BJP attacks institutions, Dalits, and poor
- What ABB India’s performance in June quarter says about capex growth
- Bajaj Finance does well in Q1 even as competition hots up
- Kotak Mahindra Bank: The perils of being priced to perfection
- Higher cane price crushes hopes of sugar mills
- Market optimism before 2019 general election: History may not repeat itself