Saudi Arabia to show films for first time at Cannes festival
Saudi Arabia culture minister Awwad Alawwad announces that the country will make its first official appearance at France’s Cannes film festival, submitting a selection of short films when the prestigious competition opens next month. “We are very happy... that there will be an official participation at the Cannes festival, for the first time,” said Alawwad. Saudi is going through some major changes and this is part of crown prince Mohammad Bin Salman’s Saudi Vision 2030 that seeks to reduce the Kingdom’s dependency on oil and tap into the entertainment industry.
- India seeks middle ground with US and Iran as sanctions near
- Fissures in Karnataka Congress as senior leader Patil criticizes minister Shivakumar
- India-Sri Lanka talks to focus on development
- New RBI norms put mobile wallets on par with payments banks
- Karantaka bypolls: Congress, JD(S) put up a united face