Nifty hits record high, Sensex crosses 37,000 for first time
India’s benchmark Sensex Index hit the 37,000-mark for the first time on Thursday and the Nifty 50 Index also touched an all-time high driven by optimism that earnings growth will pick up further because of favourable government policies. Normal monsoon so far also boosted the sentiment. India’s south west monsoon has recovered in the past week. The cumulative deficit has, by 23 July, narrowed to 2% of the long-term average from -9% earlier in the month.
- IL&FS unit chief resigns amid default crisis at group
- Tata Steel to buy Usha Martin’s steel business for up to Rs 4,700 crore
- Apple’s new smartwatch will monitor your heart only in the US, not in India or elsewhere
- Are 5 year-old smartphones still relevant today?
- OPEC and allies struggle to pump more oil as Iran supply falls