After Flipkart deal, Walmart India looks to scale up kirana store business
Walmart India has been piloting Mera Kirana over the past four years and now wants to make it part of its mainstream business. Under Mera Kirana, Walmart creates zones in its Best Price wholesale stores that are designed to resemble a modern kirana store. Another tactic that Walmart is experimenting with in India is fulfilment centres. Walmart bought a 77% stake in Flipkart for $16 billion earlier in May. It plans to open 50 new Best Price cash and carry stores. It currently operates 21 of these in the country.
- Arvind Kejriwal resumes work, reviews progress of water, power projects
- Asian politics gets trumped along with growth
- Sebi eases IPO norms, tightens definition of ‘promoter group’
- Nirmala Sitharaman, Sushma Swaraj to visit US for 2+2 talks
- Average sugarcane yield in Karnataka sees decline on continuous irrigation